Pitch and HTs

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:50:07 EST

Jim writes:
<<If on any given interval involving a pitch, of whatever
value, for A4 there was a need to change something in order to get that
interval to fit, where desired, the thing to be changed would be the A4 if
doing so did not stray beyond reasonable limits ?
  Have I succeeded in confusing the question even more?>>

    Umm,  yes.  I have been keeping the A dead on 440, no matter what
temperament, and some of the meantones are asking for about as much string
movement as I can justify.    Why?   Because, if you are asking musicians to
consider something different in the way of temperament,  and at the same time,
telling them that you are going to put A in a different place, they are going
to really be wary.  They should be, as their instruments are made to play A at
440 and the rest of the notes are usually lipped into place, depending on the
key.
     Allowing A to rise, so as to average your alteration to ET,  is throwing
a complication into the mix, that is (IMHO), unnecessary.
    Maybe I have been trying to make it as easy as possible for musicians to
accept the change of temperament, but I know that "messin' with A-440" usually
puts them all on guard, and any intonation problems are blamed on the
departure from "standard" pitch, not the change of temperament........ go
figure.
Regards,
Ed