Tricky keyslip and re-blacking sharps

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:18:10 EST

In a message dated 98-02-09 11:56:18 EST, Jerry Hunt writes:

>1) I can't seem to get the keyslip off. Removed screws from underneath
>keybed (like most other keyslips), but it won't budget. The keyslip is
>hollow, appears to be two piece - the front and top are one piece, the
>back (i.e. key-side) is a separate piece and is attached to cheeck
>blocks. All suggestions (other than hammer and chisle...) appreciated.

I presume by keyslip you mean the wood in front of the keys, also known as the
front rail.  Was this piano refinsihed, and if so, was it done by someone who
might not have known that the key slip (front rail) comes off. If it was
refinshed, and presumably stripped first, the stripper got between the keyslip
(front rail) and the cheek blocks. This is almost the same as glueing the two
piece together. If this indeed happened, you might need a chissle to seperate
the two.

>2) Would also appreciate suggestions for low-cost but respectable
>approach to re-blacking sharps (they're wooden).

Clean the ebonies real good using paptha. This gets rid of all the grease and
dirt on the keys. Spray them with black laquer. If the laquer creates
fisheyes, the keys were nopt cleaned enough. You can either strip them, sand
them smooth,a nd try again, or use leveling laquer to help eleimiate the fish
eyes.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis