Acceptable levels of error

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:55:20 EST

> A WT or meantone can fit a broad-ranged description.
>  It can have any number of "errors" in it and still function and be a WT or
MT.
>  It's only "equal" if it is.
-------------
Meaning no disrespect, then it's only Werckmeister III if it is. I think
there's a "modulation" in the logic here. Pretend for a moment that we have
decided that the ideal temperament crucial to a particular musical program or
piece is the Valotti/Young. If an ET with a couple of half-cent errors is
still a temperament, but no longer functions as ET; then, is a Valotti/Young
with a couple of half-cent errors still a temperament but no longer
recognizable as Valotti-Young?

When does the concept of Just Noticeable Difference  [I like it -- is that
yours, Ed Foote?]  come into play for a SPECIFIC well-temperament? If we are
going to complain about inaccuracies in one temperament, don't we have to hold
all temperaments to the same standard? If a Valotti/Young is not perfectly
accurate but can still function satisfactorily, so can an ET with the same
level of error, I think.

Bob Davis