..damper seating..

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 20:41:08 -0800 (PST)

Mike Masters wrote:
<snip>
>	As for those pianos with the U-shaped brackets, I had not thought of
>bending the bolts up. Actually I have, I,ve seen pianos with the bolts
>bent up, and when I tried I just couldn't get them to budge. I was just
>under the impression that I was either a feather weight or they weren't
>supposed to be moved. I guess I'll start working with the weights in the
>basement.
>
>Mike Masters
>Masters Piano Service
>Lakewood, OH

You don't need to work out with weights, unless you feel like it anyway:
get a steel pipe about 2 feet long, and slip it over the offending bolt,
once you have the action out. Be careful! You are stronger than you think! A
gentle gradual pull in any direction and it will go wherever you decide. I
call mine the "enforcer", and joke about taking it along if I need to go
into dark alleys. (I've never broken off a bolt, thank heavens.)

Getting the action out in the first place is the toughie. I've thought of
taking a five inch piece of thick dowel, and putting two holes in it, with a
slot leading to one, then taking nylon rope, knotting both ends, slipping
one through a hole, and running the other around the action bracket, then
slipping it into the slot. The rope could be long enough that the "handle"
would be a few inches in front of the action. That way one could get some
real come-hither on the darned thing, without having the hammers in the way
and without risking bashing one's hand on case parts. (I bear the scar on
the back of my hand from removing a darned little bitty console action to
this day.)

Some day, some day. Always something else to do first ...

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Only in a crazy world would jewels be worth more than tools."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant