This-n-that

Sun, 8 Feb 1998 18:11:06 -0600

this list was haunting me yesterday...

Serves me right and does me well, as an "in-house" tech, to get out and see
the lesser pso's. Raised some questions.

1. NaugaWurli fecit 1951 - not tuned in 7 yrs - ~110 cents flat. Nauga in
"perfect condition", bridges sound and no rust on strings.
2. Story & Clark 42" 1937 - not tuned in 10 yrs - ~100 cents flat  -
horrible soundboard buzzes.

The set-up: both have evidence of pinblock splits, pins along the splitlines
are "marginal" I didn't have my torque wrench with me, but both were still
in tune as I left the room. I'm currently becoming philosophically attached
to CA glue pinblock repairs, but haven't had occasion to practice the art.

the Question: would those practitioners of CA repairs care to comment on
possibility of aiding an ailing pinblock which has not yet failed completely?

Perhaps off-list.

3. Chickering 85 key square - 1886. not tuned in 18 yrs. didn't determine
pitch level.

The set-up: customer had called all three tuners here in town - one went
there, didn't have proper tool to pull action, other doesn't "do" squares -
I was available, and I thanked both of them profusely this morning ;-}.

The Question: The bolts which hold the action frame in place need a looong
tuning tip to reach them (NOT screw heads). After removing the three, the
action wouldn't budge. Knowing that the thing just recently came in from a
garage, I convinced myself and the customer that the frame was swollen tight
into the case. Knowing Chickering's propensity to experimentation, i wonder
if there might be some _other_ action hold (believe me, I looked, even
removing lyre to check for other fasteners there), or possible a good
incantation to use?

4. Harrington player upright - 1910 - player works - plucked strings
indicated at least three splits. Fortunately, didn't even try to tune it.

5. Kimball 44" console 1927 - not tuned since bought at farm auction 10
years ago. 3/4 plate w/sheetmetal pinblock covering. Bass @-25cents, rest @-90.
Tuned to itself and found pins tight - will do pitch raise next time if
customer will spring for it. This Kimball has certainly done well.

Quiz du jour: Several keys in top octave were down - looking like a Betsy
Ross with broken elbows. Action functional. What do you think was holding
the keys down?

I think I'll tune a D, a B, and a couple SF-10's tomorrow to cleanse the palate.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT		hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Luther College Music Technician	pno2ner@salamander.com
Decorah, Iowa 52101		Voice 	(319)-387-1204
				Fax	(319)-387-1076

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us; to see oursel's as others see us!
It wad some monie a blunder free us, and foolish notion. - Robert Burns