Key Bushings

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 20:59:56 -0600

Hey Jim,
I use extra strength wall paper remover.  I find some glues react to
vinegar added, some to ammonia added.  I see your unique problem.  I would
try adding soap like dishwashing soap like Palmolive or Ivory to cut the
oil/grease to help the solution soak.  I would think that should do the
trick. I have
cut 88 V shaped wedges of old hammer felt.  I leave those soaking in the
solution in a jar.  I then place them in the mortises to soak the bushings.
 I add drops of the solution if they dry out.  There is a white glue that
is particularly hard to loosen.  If the mortises get boogered up, reaming
with a special file to size the mortises helps.  Are you  familiar with
that technique?  Good luck.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: JIMRPT@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Key Bushings
> Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 3:10 PM
>
> List;
>  I am currently working on a set of keys whose front rail bushings,
indeed the
> entire front of the keys, has been soaked in McLube or some similar
substance.
>  My usual method of soaking the bushing, allowing to stand, and then
steaming
> is not working especially well.  The water alcohol mixture is beading up
and
> the steam does not seem to be penetrating as well as it normally would.
This