Piano Technicians Guild A440 Resolution

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 23:40:46 EST

<< RESOLUTION TO ENCOURAGE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF WORLD-WIDE ACCEPTANCE OF A-440
 HERTZ AS STANDARD PITCH AND CONSISTENT ADHERENCE TO THIS STANDARD:
  (snip)
  WHEREAS: it has been brought to the attention of the convention that a
 serious problem exists in connection with the inconsistencies of the pitch
 level throughout the world,   >>

   Thank you so much for getting and posting this information, Keith.  There
are two things which I immediately notice.  The first is that there is no
tolerance, and we all can agree that there always must be a tolerance when
there is a given standard. I submit that 1¢ would be too small but 1Hz. (the
equivalent of 4¢) is appropriate, there being a difference in a real musical
situation and the threshold of where we begin deducting points on a
professional exam.
    I know that I didn't pull this tolerance of 1 Hz. out of thin air.  I read
it somewhere but I don't remember where. Does anybody else know where it might
have been written or proposed?

    The second point is that there is no mention of temperament or ET in this
resolution.  This, I have noted in the past, that PTG has indeed endorsed a
pitch standard but not one for temperament.  Pitch and temperament are clearly
seperate issues.  One does not involve the other.  I really don't think this
"common law" assertion that has been made could ever hold up if it really came
down to it.  Yes, ET is thought of as "standard" and it is thought of as being
what the majority of tuners do when they tune a piano but what has come to
light in recent times truly does challenge the "monolithic" nature of ET being
the one and only acceptable standard.

    One reason that no standard for temperament has ever been even proposed,
let alone established, might well be that A4 can reasonably and consistently
be set on a piano to within a tolerance of 4¢.  What an ET really is and what
tolerances are applicable is not so easily defined and stipulated.  If we were
to demand such restrictive limits for temperament, they would be unenforceable
and unrealistic.

   Another reason may be that it is known, if not well-known, that differences
in temperament do not present such a problem as is well noted and defined
above with pitch:

<<...a serious problem exists in connection with the inconsistencies of the
pitch
 level throughout the world,   >>

   Whether one believes in the use of HT's or not, it should be plainly
understood and realized by all that not every attempt at tuning an ET actually
results in an ET.  The tuning is nevertheless accepted as such and the music
goes on.   This clearly demonstrates that there is room for diversity in
temperament and no need to establish any rules for a standard.

    Bill Bremmer RPT
    Madison, Wisconsin