perplexed

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 16:06:29 EST

Jon;
  Without question the Grand and bench are yours. If you were to cancel the
consignment the dealer would have to give you the piano, and the "artist"
bench back, right?
Questions:
1. How important is the realtionship with this dealer to you and your business
?
2. Does the importance of the relationship outweigh the cost of the bench ?
3. Would dropping the relationship at this time impact adversly ?
4. Could you sell this piano, and any future pianos, without this dealer ?
5. Would you want to sell without this dealer ?
6. Has this dealer acted in this manner before ?
7. Is the Consignment agreement in writing ?
8. Is it possible you misunderstood the dealers intentions ?

  The above questions are just thinking points and I am sure do not cover all
relevant aspects but............
  I think that all dogs are entitled to one free bite and if this is the first
one from this "dog" I would put it in active ROM and let it pass.  At the very
least it has given you a heads up on the trustworthiness and reliability of
this dealer for guidance in any future transactions.
  The distinction between 'friendship' and a 'business relationship' is a
clear one and from your post I would say that what you have here is a
'business relationship' without regard to what you feel it is.
  Friendship is built on trust and a business relationship is built on...well
business.  Friendships don't need written agreements, business relationships
do, unfortunately.  Trust has it's "monetary" value.  This value is positive
when the trust is such that you can work on the assumption that anything said
may be relied on and you can carry on your work, thinking about work, and not
how to protect yourself.  This value is negative when the trust is such that
you need to spend time worrying about whether you are protected and working
out methods to insure that you are.
  I would say Jon, from the information you have given us, just to let this
slide by  and don't give this dealer another shot at you.  That is my advice
for you.

  For me I would get a replacement "standard" bench and go to the dealers
store, exchange benches, and dare him to say anything to me. (before I went I
would borrow Ralph's shillelagh)  But then I'm just a hotheaded Rebel redneck
with a
bad disposition. While you, on the other hand, are a calm, reasonable,
thoughtful,considerate, Yankee so we would expect better from you :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)