perplexed

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 14:07:42 -0600 (CST)

Part Jon Page's post:
>...I ask you to help me sort through this.
>
>I have a grand on consignment with a dealer closer to Boston.
>I supplied an artist bench with it. He has taken a deposit on the
>piano and some bass strings were added yesterday for the customer's
>final OK.  When I asked how did the customer like the artist bench,
>he said he sold the piano with a standard bench and tersely added,
>"I'm keeping it".  This took me aback and I did not respond...

I'd be taken aback as well.  The piano and bench were yours and were set up
as a consignment package.  Any changes in the arrangements of selling that
package would need to be approved by you in advance.  Period.  You're going
to have to respond to this situation as the relationship you have with this
dealer hangs in the balance.

>...Would I be justified to request my artist bench returned and instead
>supply an standard bench?...

You'd be completely justified to request the artist bench back.  Paying the
dealer's cost for the standard bench that is going with the piano would be
sufficient.  Let's face it, the cost of an artist bench far outweighs the
cost of a standard bench.

>...This has left me with a very uncomfortable feeling...

Understandably!!!

Best to you in resolving this matter diplomatically.  Here's hoping this
dealer has a conscience.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild
USA

PS - All statements made by me concerning this matter are from my point of
view only.