..damper seating..

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 09:08:54 -0800

Keith,

Baldwin verticals do not use that type of action mounting. The top of the bracket is
curved in to meet a cast stud on the plate. There is a hole in the top of the action
bracket through which a bolt is place affixing the top of the bracket to the plate.

The problem is in the way the bottom studs are installed. The action is installed with the
piano on its back just after the keybed is installed. It is first bolted to the plate.
Then the bottom studs are installed from the bottom of the keybed with an impact wrench.
They are run up until they seat into the "cups" cast into the bottom of the bracket. When
the impact ratchet stops turning, they are high enough. Of course, by then the bracket is
also under a great deal of compression and quite nicely bent. It is not possible to remove
one of these actions without at least some of the grief that Mike has encountered.

However, there are ways to make the task a little less bad. Before removing the top action
bracket bolts, turn each of the bottom studs down until there is just a slight amount of
free play between the bottom of the bracket and the stud. Check this by wiggling the
bottom of the bracket back and forth with one hand while turning the stud down. Once you
have a bit of free play on each bracket -- and do go back to the beginning and check each
one before proceeding -- turn each one back up just until you feel no more free play. Now
remove the upper bolts. You should be able to remove the action from the piano with
considerably less difficulty. You will still have some regulating to do, but probably not
as much. Mostly it's just capstan height.

Regards,

Del