Key Bushings

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:41:27 EST

<< List;
  I am currently working on a set of keys whose front rail bushings, indeed
the
 entire front of the keys, has been soaked in McLube or some similar
substance.
  My usual method of soaking the bushing, allowing to stand, and then steaming
 is not working especially well.  The water alcohol mixture is beading up and
 the steam does not seem to be penetrating as well as it normally would.
This
 is causing quite a bit of 'tear out' in the mortises.  The old bushings are
 glued in with the white heat activated wafers.
  Any ideas? Tricks?
 Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim,

Soak with LPS Degreaser, then proceed with your regular procedure.

P.S. Don't inhale or at least don't tell anybody that you did.

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.
Piano & Organ Service