Univ. Phone Interview

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 06:32:47 -0500

>WHAT SHOULD I ASK.
>
>WHAT SHOULD I KNOW.
>

>HELP!!!!!
>
>Thank You for your thoughts,
>Steve

Steve,

Interviews are the worst!  Looking back at my own and what I have learned
as a member of search committees I think I can shed a little light.

Your committee will have picked five people that qualify for the job.  Now
they are just trying to slim the list a little by getting to know each
candidate better.  They will be looking not as much for correct answers but
insight on your personality.  (you are the technician, they may not know
the correct answers to many of their own questions) They will be looking
for a person they can get along with personally and professionally.  Have
confidence in your answers and opinions.  Don't be long winded or bury them
in technical jive.  Just be yourself.

They also want to be assured that you are definitely interested in the gig.
Some candidates are reluctant to relocate cross country, drag the kids out
of school, etc.  Nothing is more frustrating than picking a great candidate
only to have them turn you down.  In my case, I made known that I desired
the security of the job and it's benefits for the long term.

Ask a few questions to clear up any gray areas; how many pianos, brands,
conditions, budget for parts, other responsibilities, and so on.  Don't
give them the impression you will be demanding a lot of perks, more money
(our budget is very fixed, no room to negotiate unfortunately).

They just want someone that can do the job, works, and plays well with
others.  Nothing more annoying than a grumpy old piano tuner.  Good luck!
Let us know how it goes.

Best,
chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (614) 593-1429