bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 07:51:31 +0000

> From:          DGPEAKE@aol.com
> Date:          Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:50:30 EST
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach

>  Dear List,
>  I GIVE UP!  I've been trying to help a customer of mine who bought a cheap
>  Kranich & Bach (made in Europe, 1993, sold by Baldwin) 42" upright.  This
>  piano had double striking or bobbling hammers when I first saw it.  To be
>  brief and to the point; I added let-off distance and dip, still some
>  bobbling on soft blows, added more, still bobbling at times, then I added
>  key height/dip, adjusted checking, and unless you are VERY deliberate and
>  get to the very end of each key stroke, IT STILL DOES IT occasionally.
>  Maker won't help, they said (basically) that's what you get for buying a
>  cheap piano.  Now, the piano is no fun to play and you still get the
>  occasional bobble if you're not careful.
>
>  I have come across this problem hundreds of times over the years and have
>  always been able to regulate it out, but I can't seem to get this one to
>  stop without regulating it out of the comfort zone.  I remember some
>  Samicks and Yamahas in the low tenor had this problem due to the angle of
>  the surface on the butt where the jack contacts.  Any ideas?  Thanks very
>  much!
>  Lance Lafargue, RPT
>  New Orleans Chapter
>  Covington, LA.

Lance,

	First off, these Kranich Backaches are Chinese-made, with all kinds
of wonderful promises made inside regarding Dehonit pinblocks
(doesn't sound like Delignit does it?) Royal George felt hammers, and
German Scale designers. Remember the early '80's Samicks to hit the
continent..... they looked awfully familiar.
	Secondly, you're not gonna get these to regulate into the "comfort
zone" because as far as I can tell, they were never intentionally
designed that way. However, I have had some luck pulling, plugging
and re-drilling key capstans, as I find that they are usually
installed (crookedly, I might add) too far back in relationship to
the wippen heel. Two problems arise out of the stock capstan
arrangement: 1) Touch is incredibly heavy 2) Regulation is a
nightmare i.e.: bobbling hammers, no aftertouch, excessive keydip
(you can lose fingers  between keys if you're not careful) not to
mention sluggish key return. Once you have centered the capstans
under the wippen heel, I found that regulation began to fall into
place. I had to compromise on excessive key dip to gain some
aftertouch, but at least the $%^#@ thing would catch the hammers
regularly.  I have moved a set of capstans and re-regulated and
billed Baldwin for the work, they paid, but in the form of a dealer
credit (as I work for a Baldwin dealer). No problems there, as long
as this is understood by the dealer.

No Fun 8-(

Been There,
Rob Kiddell,