..damper seating..

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 05:48:18 -0800

Phil:
	What would you accomplish by turning up the screws?  You would only
succeed in making the action hard to remove/replace.  You could try to
see if the dampers follow the strings when you push on the strings.  If
you move the string toward the plate and the dampers don't follow, or
move just slightly, then the dampers may not have enough pressure to
stop the ringing.  The solution, if this is your problem, is to regulate
the damper wires so that the tail of the damper is farther from the
damper rail.  If the tails are too close, they will not allow the damper
to move enough to follow the string(s) when you move them.  Bending the
damper wire forward will do this.  I have seen this on Baldwins.
However, I must say that Baldwins in general seem to have ringing
problems, so you might be a little cautious about trying to "fix" them.
"If it ain't broke..."  If your customer doesn't notice it, maybe you
don't need to fix it.  But since you are enthusiastic to know what could
be done, I hope I have helped.  Have fun!
	Paul McCloud