out of tune Wurlitzer revisisted

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 21:30:37 EST

Several weeks ago, (in December), I posted a problem with an out of tune
Wurlitzer. I  wanted to bring you up to date with what I found.

First of all, thanks to Scott Picket, an Apprentice, who shared with us that
he learned from his mentor, Hal Lyne, that the ribs on Wurlitzer consoles
which support the soundboard are not embeded in the case, and after a time,
the crown "gives out".  Thanks also to  Del Fandrich, who stated that "not
inletting the ribs into the soundboard liner.... does not result in the loss
of soundboard crown". He further stated that "it is unlikely that the loss of
... crown could account for the pitch dropping problems".  He suggested either
a crack in the plate, or a general disintergration of the back assembly.

I finnaly got around to inspecting the piano, and found the ribs to be glued
to the soundboard, (which runs horizontal), and are not embedded into the
sides of the piano. I tend to agree with Scott's observation, despite what Del
said. It seems to me that unsupported ribs serve no purpose, and that there
just isn't any stability. Why it took 20 years for this problem to develop I
don't know, but perhaps it is as Scott said, a matter of the soundboar djust
"giving out".

TO be on the safe side, however, (who am I to argue with Del). I also checked
the other two suggestion Del gave. (cracked plate and disintergated back
assembly),  but could not find any evidence of either.

Althought the exact cause of the piano going out of tune was not solved, (the
customers were present when I inspected the piano, and listened intently to
what I had to say), they are not surprised by what I had to tell them. Instead
they asked very intellegent questions. They are very open to my suggestions,
and are considering what options to take, including keeping the piano, and
having me tune it more often.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions, and opionons. I am sure that over the
next couple of years, you all will find more Wurlitzer consoles with
horizontal soundboards and glued on ribs, going out of tune. I hope your
customers will treat you as well as did mine.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis