OFF Topic-NOT!

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 18:50:53 -0600

Most of you remember/know Warren Fisher who was running the humor list and
has been a contributor to this list technically as well.  You may also
remember that Warren was recently flamed and dropped the humor list.  He
posted a few posts, then signed off.  I called him today (He lives about 30
minutes from me) and found out that his sister had died and he was now
taking care of his VERY ill mother at home now.  His shop move has not been
going well and he has no other family to speak of except his wife.  Warren
could use a little humor about now I imagine!

Warren is about 65-looks about 55- and has always been there.  When our
local chapter was weak (and it usually is) he's been there doing
technicals, encouraging, organizing, etc.  He's just one of those guys that
keeps going.  I bring all this up because my conversation with him has
reminded me of several instances where I was angry, pessimistic, resentful,
just generally whining, and Warren forced me to see the other side.  He
taught me that being right is not enough to justify being an ass.  When
others didn't contribute to the chapter, or cheated in business, or started
trouble of some kind, he was there to really put it into perspective for
me.  I went kicking and whining, but I have learned.  What?
This......Whether I'm a great technician, whether I'm respected by the
people I work for and the people I compete against in business, or by the
people on this list, in 30 years it probably won't matter.  What matters
are things like integrity, relationships, honor, etc..

Last week-end there was another flair up on this list-I didn't read the
thread, I just commented that I was glad I had been off a few days.  A
while ago I would have jumped into the middle of it.  In a week or a year,
those angry words sent over cyberspace won't matter, but the hurt will
still be there.  All because someone thought they were "right".  Being
right isn't all there is.  I'm 40 and I'm still learning that.

I also found out today that Nolan Zeringue has been in the hospital.  Nolan
Zeringue is a past PTG national president.  I've not been able to get the
details yet, but all of this- Warren's bad luck and Nolan's illness- just
reminds me of how short life is and what we do for one another will
last-what we do TO one another will last, too.  I could dig up lots of
famous quotes, but you've read them before.  At 40, only being in this
business a little over 10 years, I've always tried to win, be the best, but
even "IF" I am, in a few years it won't matter to anyone, not even me.
I'll never say on my death bed, "I wish I had driven that other tech out of
town", or " I wish I had built a bigger customer base", "I wish those techs
on the list had built a monument for me," etc. Who will care?  Not even me.

As we learn from one another on this list it should be a given that there
will be the occasional sphincter out there who will deserve a word or two,
but if we take a breath, let it ride and move on, we don't have to slide
down to there level, only to have to struggle our way back to where we
were.

Thanks to Warren and Nolan, and Keith and Al and Jon, and Susan, and Les,
and Paul, and David, and Eugenia, and Ralph, and Richard, Dale, Jim,
Delwin, Newton, Barrie, and the list goes on and on, and on.  Good Night.
Regards,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.