Temperaments (the pianos', not the technicians')

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@emi.net
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:32:05 -0500

Hi Ralph,

I always get hooked when listening or reading of how other techs tune a
temperament. I have tried so many different approaches that sometimes, I
sit down on the bench after muting and I just don't know which procedure
I'm going to use that day.

In reading your procedure below, I wondered if you would save a little time
by *first* getting your A3 - A4 octave as wide as you like, and *then*
placing your E4 and D4 appropriately. I know... it's hard breaking habits
but since Jim told me how smart you are, I just know that you will try
something new.

Try this for an exercise. Try tuning a circle of 5ths (and 4ths) with no
checks to see how it comes out on the last one. Take care!

Howard S. Rosen, RPT
Boynton Beach, Florida