bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 14:18:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Lance Lafargue wrote:

>  As a matter of fact their tech did go
> out originally and adjust capstans and SHOWED THE CUSTOMER HOW TO USE AN
> ICE PICK TO LOWER THE CAPSTANS TO LESSEN THE PROBLEM. Of course this did
> not really fix anything, it just boogered up the capstan holes and
> introduced lots of lost motion, etc.

Lance:

That reminds me of the time I went in to tune a grand for a new customer.
As I was removing the music desk, he reached into the bench and pulled
out a jumble of string. In tuning the treble, the last tuner had broken
half a dozen strings. Although he removed the strings he had broken, he
didn't replace them. Instead, he gave the owner a long length of new wire
and told him that he could replace them himself, becuase the tech was in
a hurry to get to his next appointment.  Middle C--among others--was left
with but a single string. It might have been the same tech you mentioned
above. Then, again, it might have been "Boris"! :)

Les Smith