Recipe for trouble

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 23:16:00 -0600

Dear Friends,

Ingredients:

1 large helping of cold weather
1 large field
several small field mice
1 warm and toasty trailer house
1 energetic Scotty dog
1 35-year-old Aeolian spinet
1 sweet, elderly, disabled, widowed lady
1 piano technician

Take large helping cold weather and add quickly to field until mice decide
to take refuge in trailer house. Add 1 Scotty dog to trailer house.  Mix
well!   When Scotty dog begins chasing (and catching) said rodents, take
one (or more) enterprising rodents and mix well with spinet.  Allow mixture
to sit for several days (or weeks, or however much time you desire until
mouse feels urge to make a nest in said piano).  When bored mouse has
sharpened its teeth sufficiently on surrounding piano keys, allow rodent to
disappear.  When desired results are achieved, have elderly lady call local
piano technician and complain about the sluggish action of spinet.

Seriously folks, the above story is true.  I encountered my first piano key
that had been chewed all the way through, and I want to make the sweet lady
happy by fixing her beloved piano.

Several questions:
1.  What type of wood is best for making a new key?
2.  Where can I obtain some of this wood?
3.  Any hints or warnings involved in making a replacement key?

Thanks!
David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri, USA