1/2 cent difference on unison

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:59:48 EST

<< More correctly stated:
 If you are off by 3.1 cents, your pitch score will be just below 80% and you
will fail that *portion* of the Exam.  In my book that's quite an acceptable
margin of error for someone who wants to earn the title of Registered Piano
Technician.  >>

    No argument there, Kieth.  The Exam manual says something to the effect
that it may well be that a technician often tunes to something other than
absolute A-440 but the Exam ought to be one place where this skill can be
proven.  Owen Jorgensen also says, (and how could I not concur?) that ET is
and should remain a model temperament to use in the RPT Exam, not only because
it is admittedly considered standard today but because it is a very difficult
temperament to effect.
    Many of the HT's involve combinations of pure and equal-beating intervals
which are much easier to get correct than having a series of 4ths & 5ths all
only slightly and evenly tempered and a super smooth set of 3rds & 6ths.  To
really get that arrangement correct entirely by ear and to get A4 within 1¢ of
the standard takes real skill!
    On the other hand, a piano tuned very well that is high or low of  A440 by
1Hz (4¢) or less does not really sound any different anywhere within that
range and one might argue that you could be even more tolerant than that.  It
seems to me that 1Hz is a reasonable tolerance for Standard pitch in most
situations.  In a performance situation, I always aim for "0 tolerance"
however.  It always concerns me if my pitch cannot be set with absolutely no
offset on the SAT.  I feel I am compromising if I cannot.
    Here in the midwest however, there are some pianos whose pitch drifts as
much as 60¢ from Summer to Winter.  No matter how stably the pins are set,
some pianos are out of tune badly all too soon.  One is absolutely forced to
compromise on pitch as much as 20¢ in a few extreme cases.  ( Yes, a piano
left 20¢ low in Winter might easily climb well above 20¢ sharp in Summer and
20¢ sharp is the best place to leave it if you don't want to find it 60¢ flat
again in Winter!)
    Fortunately, there are only a few cases that are that extreme and Humidity
Control Systems do mitigate those kinds of problems greatly.
    Bill Bremmer RPT
    Madison, Wisconsin