bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach

Wed, 04 Feb 1998 10:19:43 -0800

Robert Goodale wrote:

> Lance Lafargue wrote:
>
> > I GIVE UP!  I've been trying to help a customer of mine who bought a cheap
> > Kranich & Bach (made in Europe, 1993, sold by Baldwin) 42" upright.
> >
> > I have come across this problem hundreds of times over the years and have
> > always been able to regulate it out, but I can't seem to get this one to
> > stop without regulating it out of the comfort zone.  Any ideas?
> > Thanks very much!
>
> I hate to be blunt and obvious, but... Since this piano was marketed by
> Baldwin, does it by any chance have that awful artificial "corfam" crap
> that they insist on using in the action instead of buckskin? If so, it
> may be that the catchers have become hard and smooth and will no-longer
> catch on the backchecks.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Rob Goodale, RPT

Rob,

"Corfam" hasn't been used by Baldwin for years. The material used now is really quite
good. (Corfam was also a fairly good material until the vendor changed the formula without
notifying their customers.) But it is only used on their US (OK, Mexican) built actions.
The Kranich & Bach does not use this action.

This sounds to me like a geometry problem. I've been kind of following this thread, but
I've not yet seen what the hammer blow distance is. Seems to me, that's where I'd start.

Del