1/2 cent difference on unison

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:10:27 -0600 (CST)

Part of Bill Bremer's, RPT, post:
>...What I was referring to was not the Exam standard but  a
>resolution passed in Council some years ago.  I am not certain when that was
>or what the exact language was but the intent was that PTG was endorsing A-440
>as a pitch standard.  It gave a tolerance of + or - 1 Hz. (or 1 cycle), not 1
>cent.  Essentially, this means a tolerance of + or - 4¢...

I sat in on that session, and it was not during Council, but during a
meeting that occurred later in the convention for those who were interested
in the subject of standardizing pitch.  IAPBT (International Association of
Piano Builders and Technicians) members had the opportunity to be there as
well.
to the best of my knowledge, there was not a + or - tolerance discussed
when voting for a resolution that A440 be the recognized pitch.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731