voicing Steinway L

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:30:35 -0600 (CST)

>...Question: Am I going in the right direction?  I only need to make two
>hammers louder to match others around them.  I may use responses to assure
>her.  Thanks!
>Lance Lafargue, RPT

Lance, List,

Dilute the strength of your current acetone/keytop mix by 1/4, by 1/3, and
by 1/2 in three separate containers.

Start with the diluted 1/4 on one of the hammers.  Apply it where you think
it is needed.  Wait for the results by allowing the acetone to evaporate.
If it comes up to where you want it, move to the next hammer.  If it
doesn't, apply more of the same until it does.  If it goes beyond where you
want it, use your "SHALLOW salt and pepper needling on the strike point"
gradually until it comes down.

If the 1/4 diluted solution does not producing the results you are seeking,
move to the 1/3 solution.  Use the same method as mentioned above, et
cetera.  I had excellent results just last week with this strategy.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731