Vs: bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:32:08 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

>From what I've observed, the main cause of this seems to be the leverage
ratio between the jack leg and fly; short leg, long fly. You need a pretty
strong jack spring on that short moment arm to get the fly back under the
butt between keystrokes. This makes for a very quick action, but it
increases the resistance and affects the feel at letoff. New piano students,
particularly, seem to have trouble with this. They tend to stop at the
letoff resistance instead of stroking through it. Occasionally, I have a
customer that just can't make peace with this and I have to compromise the
regulation somewhat. I will generally lower the letoff rails a bit to widen
letoff to about 1/4". I make sure the capstan adjustment is good, and set
the backchecks a little closer than I normally would. This will usually get
me, the piano, and the pianist(s) back into service for the next couple of
years. By then, everyone has gotten used to the feel and I can usually get
the regulation back to where it belongs with no trouble. In a school
situation, perhaps a little teflon powder on the butt leather would lessen
the drag and improve the situation.

Might help, might not - hope so.

 Ron Nossaman