voicing Steinway L

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:10:48 -0600

I recently reshaped hammers, regulated and voiced a 10 year old L for a
good customer.  This lady has a great ear.  After reshaping back to the
Steinway shape, regulating, string voicing and voicing the hammers, she
wanted it voiced down a bit more, especially in the lower treble.  I did.
Not enough.  Not enough, etc.  Finally I have arrived, but she finds the C
and B too soft now- not much sustain/volume-I agree. (I had been needling
1/8 inch deep mostly around 2 and 11 o'clock with some SHALLOW salt and
pepper needling on the strike point) I shine the surface with 220 grit and
hit the strike point firmly with the back of my Yamaha voicing tool, but it
is not enough.  I offered to iron them, but explained that it would mostly
make the attack brighter, but not the whole voice of the hammer louder.  I
told her I would need to apply a little acetone/keytop to the low shoulders
for more volume.  She's too scared (heard horror stories about hardener)
for me to do this and wants to play it as is and maybe we'll do something
later.
Question: Am I going in the right direction?  I only need to make two
hammers louder to match others around them.  I may use responses to assure
her.  Thanks!
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.