bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 07:42:16 -0600

John,
This makes a lot of sense on this one.  I will check it out.  When you play
it the point of let-off has a lot of resistance and that is why it is
sometimes unnatural to continue down to the bottom of the keystroke.  Under
normal play, many notes sound without getting to the bottom of the front
punching.  Thanks.  I'll let you know.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: John McKone <mckonejw@SKYPOINT.COM>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach
> Date: Monday, February 02, 1998 7:13 PM
>
> Lance,
>
> I don't about the K&B you're working on, but one thing that seems to
> contribute to this problem on Yamaha's (particularly the P22) is the
> relationship between let-off and damper lift.
>
> These pianos sometimes are set up so that the let-off button and the
damper
> spoon are contacted simultaneously.  This produces enough friction to
> create a "false bottom" to the key stroke, particularly on a soft blow.
> The "false bottom" causes enough hesitation in the key to allow a bobble
> before the jack can get through let-off.
>

> John Mckone, RPT
>
> >Dear List,
> >I GIVE UP!  I've been trying to help a customer of mine who bought a
cheap
> >Kranich & Bach (made in Europe, 1993, sold by Baldwin) 42" upright.
This