Temperaments

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:06:03 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, robert sadowski wrote:

> Les,
>      Just a thought - I've always felt that Debussy was the first "jazz
> cat".  I guess I'll have to listen to more Chopin.

Hi, Bob. No 'bout a doubt it (!), Claude was an "original". It's just that
he wasn't the original original. Chopin was. An important distinction to
be made between Chopin and jazz however is this. The piano technique and
harmonic innovations Chopin introduced never intruded on the important
thing--the music itself and what it was saying. Or, to put it another way,
the technique and the harmonic devices Chopin used were the servants of
the music he wrote, they were never the music itself. In much of the pro-
gressive jazz I hear today, I often get the feeling that the harmonic
devices and the technique have become the music. Much of what I hear re-
minds me of elaborate variations on the same up-tempo Czery etude. I
never got that feeling when listening to the music of Brubeck, or Des-
mond, or their likes, but of course, they went "mainstream" long ago.
Further, as someone once pointed out, "Once you write down the notes,
it's no longer jazz". (Of course Erroll Garner might have said that
because he COULDN'T write down the notes!). :) Just how progressive
was Chopin? Consider the following sketch.
Chopin's back in the same smoke-filled club I mentioned in an earlier
post. He's dressed in all black, including a beret pulled down low
over his brow and he's smoking a hand-rolled cigarette of indeterminate
origin. Once again he's seated at his high-end, state-of-the-art,
Steinway D-sampled, digital piano and basking on the glow of a 15-watt,
orange spotlight. Suddenly, you hear the drums and a soft high-hat
lay down an insane beat and Chopin begins to play. It's the last move-
ment from his sonata in Bb  minor--except for Liszt, a piece his
contemporaries just couldn't understand. And no small wonder, because
in it Chopin was anticipating what "progressive" jazz would be doing
more that a century and a half later! Chopin once described the piece
as "Night winds whispering over a graveyard". Today, a fan in the audi-
ence would describe it as "totally radical" and "outta sight"!

Listen. See for yourself.

Les Smith

PS For those of you out there wondering: yes, Chopin still has an
acoustic piano, too. It's a concert grand and he keeps it at his
condo on the beach.