Ancient Greek Music (recording)

walter sikora sikora@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:00:10 -0500

I have an French made album (vinyl) called _Musique de la Grece Antique_
on the Harmonia Mundi label (HM 1015).  It seems quite scholarly.  I don't
know if it's still in print.

It came with extensive notes which mention "two systems of notaion: one
instrumental, comprised of 15 distinct signs probably derived from an
archaic alphabet, and the other vocal based on the 24 letters of the Ionic
alphabet.  The two types of notation were used indiscriminately as is borne
out by the Delphic Hymns and the Pythian Ode of Pindar.  The latter has
come down to us thanks to Atanasius Kircher who studied it and made a copy
of it in the 16th century."

Reconstructed instruments are used.  It is very well recorded.

To my ear,  much of the music  sounds occult, a little frightening or at
least very pagan. It produces a some culture shock.   Much like the
unpleasant effect of Fellini's _Satyricon_.  (Fellini said he was trying to
recreate the feel of the world before the  the advent of Christianity.)

Walter Sikora, RPT
Chapel Hill, NC