Nickel Plating

Mike Swendsen mike.swendsen@shaw.wave.ca
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 19:20:10 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Anderson <tknostf@foxvalley.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Saturday, January 31, 1998 12:35 PM
Subject: Nickel Plating

>Is anyone doing their own plating?  Does anyone have any experience with
>the nickel plating equipment and supplies (electro or electroless) sold
>by Brownell's, Caswell or others?
>
>I am going to start doing my own plating. I already have all the
>polishing stuff, and I'm familiar with the process after dealing with
>platers for several years.
>
>I would greatly appreciate any advise or experience you would offer.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Richard Anderson , RPT
>Elgin IL

I purchased the nickel plating equipment form Caswells, abbot a year ago, I
have since done my own and others nickel plating.  I chose not to get the
chrome plating materials as they are pretty dangerous as chemicals ( chromic
acid, yech)   But I understand that nickel sulphate is also a dangerous
chemical as it is carcinogenic, just use good safety procedures.  The manual
from Caswells is very well written, if followed you will get very good
results.    I have had some trouble in the chrome and nickel stripping
procedures, and usually resort to physically stripping the old nickel with a
deburring wheel or glass beading.  The other problem, if you don't buy their
rectifier unit, is finding one that will work well, and not cost an arm and
a leg.