pianotech-digest V1997 #510

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 20:47:26 -0500

David Boyce wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> In No. 510, James Grebe wrote about different types of piano, with
> different sounds, and invited comments.  Some interesting  discussion
> followed, from Delwin and others  (Delwin made some unflattering comments
> on recording engineers!) and now I'd like to add my mite;

> Delwin, you're severe about recording engineers!  No doubt justified.  But
> do any of you have recordings you think show off a make of piano
> particularly well?  This might be an interesting thread.
> For Baldwin I'd recommend Earl Wild's 80'th birthday recording, and,
> particularly, his earlier recording of Rachmaninov song transcriptions.
> Mr. Wild's Baldwin is truly a mighty instrument, which he plays mightily,
> of course, even at 80.  (Tho' the dampers are a little noisy.)
> I have a CD called 'Jamaican Rumba' ("Pianissimo" label, PP 11192) of
> two-piano arrangements of Benjamin and Grainger. The pianos are a Steinway
> and a Bosendorfer.  One is through the left channel, and the other through
> the right.  I always forget from the sleeve notes which is which, so I
> always challenge myself to identify them correctly, and I always get it
> right!  A Bosendorfer is unmistakable.
> Yamaha comes across well in the recording of Corigliano's piano concerto
> played by Alain Lefevre (Koch 3-7250-2 H1), or solo on Tatiana Nikolayeva's
> Melodiya recording of Bach's 48 (which someone said she plays as if they
> were Schuman).
> Talking of recording quality, it's interesting to compare the sound of
> Chick Corea's own recording of his 'Children's Songs'  on a Yamaha (ECM
> IC2516) with the recording by Leon Bates on a Bosendorfer (Naxos).  The
> Yamaha is recorded with a rather distant and resonant acoustic, and the
> Bosendorfer close and warm.
> Also worth hearing, in terms of development of the piano and something
> different, is the Wayne Stuart Concert Grand, with four pedals, which I've
> mentioned before.

> David.

Dear David and List:

I'd like to list my favorite piano recording of all time. I won't
comment on the piano, just the recorded sound. And its only one track on
the disc.
The recording:
Dick Hyman plays Fats Waller. Reference Recordings RR-33DCD. The track
is the first - Bach Up to Me. It was recorded Direct-to-CD. And if you
can find some Sheffield Lab compact discs, the sound on these is
stunning, too.
For what it's worth.
Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
Hallett's Piano Service