string height

Sun, 01 Feb 1998 13:59:03 -0800

David,

There are other reasons for this style of capo-'d-astro bar as well as those you
mentioned. It allows the builder better control over the location of the V-bar for one.
This is less of a factor today since V-bars can fairly easily be milled to shape and
position using CNC equipment. In the "good old days" the location of the V-bar could vary
quite a bit as the pattern aged.

I would guess that the piano builder was trying to match the elevation of the front string
termination to the anticipated crown of the soundboard. Or some fraction thereof. It is
also possible that the hitch pin panel is crowned in somewhat the same manner.

A variation of 6.0 mm is a bit much, but I've seen much more. Usually the variation can be
compensated for by simply adjusting the hammer line. Occasionally, when new hammers are
being installed, it is desirable to alter the hammer boring dimension to compensate.

-- ddf