Negative crown

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:37:36 -0800

This is an intriguing question.  While one must acknowledge there is a difference between a soundboard which has reverse crown by design, like some of the Rippens of a few years back, and those which suffered a collapse.  I regularly serviced a  Rippen vertical with a Herrburger-Brooks action and a gorgeous case a few years back.  I was startled to note that it had a reverse crowned soundboard, by design.  It sounded very well, was extremely stable, and had long, singing sustain.  I also saw a 5'6" (if memory serves) Rippen Grand bearing the Lyon & Healy name, also with a reverse-crown board at NAMM a few years back.  While not extraordinary,  it had a good tone and sustain, and the factory rep claimed the tuning stability was better than average.  The Rippen company has, alas, gone on to the final arpeggio in the sky, but a few of these critters survive.
Anyone else had experience with them?
Steve

>>> "Kevin R. Aldrich" <KAldrich@compuserve.com> 12/29 7:58 AM >>>
What would happen if you recapped bridges to gain downbearing on an old
piano with a soundboard with no crown left, or even with an oilcanned
soundboard?  Would the soundboard totally collapse?  Del Fandrich says that
a soundboard does not act like an arch, so crown does not help support
bearing load, right?  Would the tone improve?  Wasn't there a piano made in
the past with negative crown?  I realize that one should replace the
soundboard in these circumstances, but some pianos aren't worth the
expense.

Kevin Aldrich