K.C. class

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:45:15 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ed:

For your class in KC I would suggest including in your handout a list of
some of your preferred cents deviations from Equal Temperament which you use
in various Historical Tunings. Then, I believe it would be good to show them
from the aural tuning perspective how you would do those same tunings
aurally. It might also be interesting to show how you can turn one type of
tuning into another by merely changing one or two notes. This is some of
the stuff Owen used to do for us. If you could have two pianos for
demonstration, it might be well to show how in a certain musical passage it
is more pleasing to hear it in a Well Temperament as opposed to ET. Or, in
addition, how a meantone tuning might not be best for playing in certain
keys, and what can be done to make it more playable by altering just one
note or two notes to change the tonality center.

Jim Coleman, Sr.