Teflon Clicks

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:06:04 -0600

>List,
>  I am requesting info on clicking Steinway teflon centers. I'm doing key
>bushings and regulating a mid 70's M, haven't isolated noises yet, but this
>is my first one and I'm wondering if there are any  quick fixes for a few
>centers. Do you replace the teflon? There is not money for parts replacemnt
>at this time. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
>  Ken Jankura RPT
>  Newburg PA

Hi Ken,

You have a couple of options when dealing with teflon centers.

1. replace ONLY the pin with one size larger and ream to fit.
2. replace the bushing AND the center pin with a new one of the same size,
reaming to fit. If the pin is loose in the birdseye, go up to the next size.

The secret to working with teflon is careful, accurate reaming and lots of
practice. If you don't have the reamers from Steinway, you can take a
pointed pin of the proper size, roll it between two files, and chuck it
into a pin vise. This will roughen up the surface of the pin enough to let
you ream with a good degree of accuracy. Ream a little, check the fit, ream
some more if you need to, check the fit.

Don't forget to check the underlevers and balanciers for clicks as well.
You are servicing all the teflon and a click is a click, regardless of
where it comes from.

Good luck.

Tom Seay
mailto:t.seay@mail.utexas.edu