FAC Averaging

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 00:20:19 EST

In a message dated 12/9/98 9:18:33 AM Central Standard Time, atodd@UH.EDU
writes:

<<  I guess I'm being a little dense but I'm not sure how to make the
 "starting pitch exactly the same for both" if I'm using an FAC tuning. Do
 you mean make the A reading the same for both pianos and use the different
 F and C readings as they come out for the two pianos? In other words, two
 different FAC readings, but the A is changed on one so that both pianos
 will have the same A reading.
    I hope I'm making myself clear. Thanks for any clarification you can
 give me.

 Avery >>

It is quite simple.  If you are tuning to Standard pitch, simply calculate
each FAC and tune each one as you normally would.  If you are tuning to a
nonstandard pitch, simply make sure that you have the same offset (+ or -) for
both pianos.

Any of the three alternatives that were presented will produce acceptable
results that meet professional standards.  Yet, as you have seen from the
writing on this List, you can still have options that fall within that range.

It is my opinion however that the "tune each one individually but both (or
all) to the same pitch" alternative yields the best results.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, WI