Bird's eye

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:20:02 -0700 (MST)

Hi John:

I have made successful repairs to splitout "birdseyes" many time by drilling
a very small hole the size of a round toothpick, gluing the part tight
(using a clamp) and then gluing in the toothpick for reinforcement.
After the repair is thoroughly dry, it can take the next size center pin.
Oh, I forgot to mention, do not locate the toothpick through the center pin
hole, but just beyond it toward the end of the butt.

Another type of repair is to make a fine saw kerf across the split and glue
in a small piece of maple veneer for a tight fit. Trim appropriately
afterwards.

Jim Coleman, Sr.