Bird's eye

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:03:45 -0700

John:  I made a bird's eye cutter out of a "spade" bit that had an OD of
about 3/8"  Procedure was rather simple.  Make a jig that will allow you
to cut a depression in the bit equidistant from both edges ( or from the
center - depending on how you are looking at it ).  Nothing more than a
block of wood with a hole bored through it the same diameter as the shank
of the bit.  I used a dremel tool with a small abrasive aluminum oxide
cutter to cut the depressions.  You will have to have the jig tilted
somewhat to give some "relief" behind the cutting edge.  Had to do this
only once for a part of a very old S&S upright jack that is no longer
available.  Nice thing about it is that the cutter can be used for nearly
any part that needs one.  Think of "rosette" cutter when making one of
these.  Remember that the depression that you form in the cutter will be
the raised portion of the bird's eye. Hope that this helps.
Merry Christmas!
John R. Fortiner
pianoserv440@juno.com

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:27:10 -0400 John Ross <piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca>
writes:
>Hi List,
>How do you make a bird's eye, when making a replacement part, for one
>that can't be bought.
>The catalogues have all sorts of tools, but none for birds eyes.
> I have never seen anything mentioned, about making parts with bird's
>eyes, in any articles or books.
>Most of the time I have been able to make a repair with CA glue.
>I want to be prepared for the time I can't repair one.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]