FIRE IN THE ACTION!

tomnjan@bellsouth.net tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:22:16 -0500

I am a hobbyist/amateur technician and would welcome some advise from
the professionals. I recently volunteered (due to budget problems, the
school board won't even pay for tunings) to recondition a "studio" piano
for the local high school. Upon looking at the action for the first
time, I noticed a yellow powder residue distributed over the action. The
action was extremely sluggish, but aside from needed hammer filing,
regulating, and tuning, it appeared to be in good shape. I questioned
the band director about the yellow residue. It turns out that years
before, vandals had broken into the school, and among other things, had
discharged a dry chemical fire extinguisher inside the piano! I removed
the action, cleaned the cabinet, blew out the action with compressed
air, polished the capstans and key pins (the powder had caked on to
contact points and was not easy to remove), and lubricated the jack
tips, etc. Still the action, although much improved, is a bit sluggish.
My question is, should I try center pin lubricant, or would the likely
presence of residual yellow powder combined with the lubricant make
matters worse? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks.