modern adhesives?

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 18:37:22 -0500

>Has anyone had any success gluing a cracked bird's eye?

Everybody's friend,    CA glue.

BUT you still_must_inlay a piece of vertical grain veneer
with of course CA glue :-)

Same old repair, just quicker acting adhesives.

Recently, I had an old jack break. I was out of accelerator. So I
moistened the joint after glueing. not the same result.
However I tried Susan's CA glue and white glue trick on felt . .  .great!
I ended up bringing the jack back to my shop for reglueing.
Actually, the wood also disintegrated at the joint so I rebuilt the area
with Thick CA glue, filed and shaped to fit.    You gotta love this stuff.

Having utilized this material for a few years I have come to the conclusion
of only buying thin and medium viscosities. The solvents evaporate so the
heavy usually ends up a solid mass after a  while.  So by rotating the stock
by evaporation rates, I can maintain a supply of glue. I go through about
twice
as much thin as anything else. And this without ever having treating a
tuning pin.

I've been getting it from Mohawk. I buy the accelerator by the quart, $26
+s/h.
Anything cheaper out there?

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)