Practicing on a bad piano

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:58:40 EST

In a message dated 12/18/98 2:19:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:

<< Those parents who buy
 their children junk to see how they progress before they will invest in a
 good piano are programming their children to fail before they begin.  They
 are at least telling their child that they aren't going to invest any more
 in the lessons than they have to...why should the child?  We also both
 believe that children have better musical ears than we do.  That child
 isn't going to want to practice on an "instrument" he/she doesn't like the
 sound of, or the feel of for that matter. >>

When I sell a piano in my shop, which is not very often, I tell the customer
that they will only leave my shop reconditioned.  Often they may say, "well if
you do not do this, how much will you lower the price?"   I do not lower the
price because the piano will not leave my shop unless it is reconditioned.  I
may not sell many pianos (I prefer not because of the amount of customers
pianos already in my shop) but I take pride in my work.  And my reputation is
worth it.

Often when a customer is unwilling to spend a lot of money in a good piano, I
explain that if there is a dealer in your area that rents, try renting for
6-12 months and see how your child progresses.  If he or she does, then you
may offer to purchase the piano or trade it for a better one.  Many dealers
will allow a percentage of the rent to go towards a purchase of a piano in
their store.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR