Practicing on a bad piano.

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:03:57 -0500

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject: Practicing on a bad piano.
Date:    18-Dec-98 at 08:36
From:    Wallace Scherer, 74114,2105

TO: Pianotech,INTERNET:pianotechtg.org

List,

I recently did a research project on how having a bad piano affects the
practicing habits and attitudes of young piano students. My survey revealed
that students with poor pianos are more likely to:

* practice less than 30 minutes at at time
* only practice 3 days per week or less
* have to take piano lessons for more years in order to reach a desired
proficiency (see comment below)
* play other instruments as well as the piano
* also be involved in other non-school activities
* have other people in the family who play an instrument

My thinking on some of these matters is that those with real interest,
talent, and perseverance will keep on trying despite difficulties (a bad
piano). But because they may not be getting as much satisfaction out of
their piano playing as they should (perhaps without even realizing it) they
try to fulfill that need with other musical instruments or other
activities.

The study did not consider the many people who may have given up on their
lessons due to the same difficulties.

Concerning the fact that many more students with poor pianos have taken
lessons for more years than those with good pianos, I conclude that if they
had spent $100 to $200 in order to get their piano in good condition, they
would probably have advanced to their present proficiency in four years or
less instead of five years or more, thus saving at least double that amount
on piano lessons. Or, in the same amount of time they would have advanced
much further.

To receive a complete report on this study, please contact me directly at:
mailto:wallyts@compuserve.com
(I am not currently signed on to this list.)
There is a small charge for the report.

Wally Scherer, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
mailto:WallyTS@iName.com
Web page: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2411
May the Christ of Christmas fill your hearts with joy!