narrow key bushing mortises

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:29:01 -0600

hey,
I'm restoring a turn-of-the-century Sohmer upright and the balance rail
mortises are narrower than my cauls and bushmaster.  The balance pins are
.146, but the width (front to back) of the hole will not allow me to insert
the caul or bushmaster or the precut bushing cloth strips.  The buttons are
in great shape and I don't want to replace them.  Any ideas on enlarging
the hole?  I was considering getting an extra set of cauls and narrowing
them on a belt sander to fit the hole.  Thanks.
LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
New Orleans Chapter
Mandeville, LA.