Leg screw hole repairs

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:33:07 -0500

First, do not use dowel stock.  Dowels only have end grain at the ends,
which is the weakest way for a screw.  Make or get plugs, which can be
made from the sides of a board, not the end.  Really good ones, that can
make a long plug or expensive but well work the investment over the long
haul.

Alternatively you can use the wood replacement material available from
Webb Philips.  This is like epoxy molding clay.  You can plug the hole
entirely or put in come and tun the screw in so new threads are formed.
Lubricate the screw so you can get it out.

Thick CA glue can also be used to reform threads with a lubricated
screw.

Of the three I prefer to plug and redrill because I will use hard wood
plugs, even if the original hole was in soft wood.

I use CA for smaller screw holes.

        Newton