Leg screw hole repairs

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:35:21 EST

Tom Seay wrote;

<<You might consider the use of threaded inserts. A threaded insert... is a
fastener with knife threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside.
These are the same fasteners used in the manufacture of knock-down furniture
and they are available in
various sizes.>>

FINALLY - Someone suggests replacing wood screws,  extremely inferior
fastening hardware, with better modern fasteners.

I have a huge stock of wood screws, perhaps 75 pounds, in 150 sizes and
diameters from 1/4" to three inches, and they now go virtually unused because
better technology, namely drywall screws, more properly replaces them.

I have even seen "drywall screw" type lag bolts, with sharp threads, uniform
core, in sizes to 6" long and 1/2" in diameter. ( although I currently do not
know where to get these, it might not be hard to find them. )

A wood screw wastes most of its length with a smooth section (yeah, yeah,  -
so it goes through the stock to be held), then tapers the poorly threaded
section so if it starts to loosen, it gets worse fast. These were an outgrowth
of blacksmithing technology, which has been superceded.

Instead of working on how to make yet another repair to leg screws, lets use
the brains of this list ( the ones pouring CA and epoxies into pinblocks) to
find a fantastic replacement system for these lame screws, and just throw them
out. ( How about big wood nuts?)

Excellent post Mr. Seay.

Bill Simon
Phoenix