Christmas Piano Tuner

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 01:22:25 EST

The Life of a Christmas Piano Tuner:

I am mostly booked for December tunings by Dec. 1.  My busiest tuning month.
I usally close the shop and tune, tune, tune.  I sent out my reminders and by
the end of the 1st week, the rest of the month was booked.  Thanx to my wife,
she did the scheduling.

This week while I was out tuning, she answered the phone.  "My office party is
this Friday at my house and the piano needs tuning.  Can you do it this week?
Sorry we are booked.  The phone rings again.  "Our church is having our
concert this weekend.  Can you do it before Sunday?"  Sorry we are booked.
Can you come on Saturday?  Sorry we are booked.  "Do you work on Saturday?"
No.  "Then why not come out and tune our piano?"   We have a life besides
pianos.  "Please come out!"  Ok if you insist, Dave will come over, but he
will charge double.  "Why Double?"  It is overtime for him, plus expenses, and
he deserves it just like anyone who works. "Then it is $100 plus?"  Yes.
"Sorry, I cannot afford it."  Click.

In the meantime, I tune, tune, and tune.  The phone keeps ringing.  "Do you
have an opening for a tuning before Christmas?"  Sorry, we are booked.

I plan on relaxing a bit during Christmas and take it east until the 1st of
the year. I am looking forward to being back in the shop.  Less tuning at
least.

I can count the money at the end.  Give a portion to charity, pay the bills,
and have some leftover to buy office and shop supplies for a larger tax write
off.

Isn't it nice to know we are so popular?  Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New
year!

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter