EXTRA! EXTRA! Plate Repairs- THIS COULD BE IT!

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:23:17 EST

In a message dated 12/16/98 2:24:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU writes:

>  I would like to invite the individual who
>  first shared this with the group (currently not on this list), to jump in
> and tell
>  more.

Robert,
My wife and I hosted this at our place, and the repair was done on an old
Emerson upright we have had sitting in the back room of the shop for 20 years.
The two cracks were at the lower edge of the plate web, one running through a
countersunk screw hole and I think the other running upward from near the end
of a strut. I'll have to look again. The piano has not been strung yet.
Although I am anxious to put it to the test, there is too much client work
ahead of it to do it for a while. I wish we had had a grand with cracks in the
usual place, i. e., across the struts, but this is what we had. The numbers
Gary was quoting indicated that the repair would be more than strong enough
even for an across-the-struts repair.

All of us were impressed with the presentation, and it was our understanding
that what makes this different from other methods is the fact that, as you
mentioned, the threads tend to pull the repair together instead of apart. The
repair can be made practically invisible (I don't know if that's a good
thing!).

Was the person who described it Thom Swenddal? Our chapter has mentioned the
process to next year's California state convention and the '99 National. The
'99 State is less than 100 miles from this company's home base. One of us will
write up the process for possible publication in the Journal, to get opinions
from a wider area.

That's all I have time for now. More later, if interest warrants.
Bob Davis
Stockton, CA