Tools On Airlines

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:22:40 -0700

Joel Nelson wrote:

> I will be flying with my tuning toolkit in a week. I would prefer
> to take the tool case with me as carry-on luggage. However I
> am not sure how the security people will perceive all the
> unusual tools. I would hate to check it as baggage and never
> see it again. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?

I'll just say this: it's not what you carry on, it's what you
shouldn't carry on.  A number of months ago I flew into New York, (La
Guardia), for a Steinway seminar.  I discussed the matter with Keven
Stock who shared with me a few tales of his own.  What they don't
like is things that **look** like they could be used as a weapon.
Kevin advised me not to leave La Guardia with my capstan regulator in
my kit, (the long Yamaha type).  He said the last time he had one
they confiscated it since technically it could be used to stab
someone.  I followed his advise which turned out to be true, and
packed it into my suitcase instead.  When inspected the one thing
they objected to was my $1.00 disposable knife, the type with the
blade that breaks off as it gets dull.  I happily handed it over and
I was on my way.  I guess the secret is don't take anything sharp or
pointy.  If you must, take it apart somehow so that it does not
appear threatening as a single unit.

Rob Goodale, RPT