Letting off tension-Plywood-S&S

Janina Baur janina@ancc.com.au
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:24:07 +1100

Greetings to all,
A couple of questions, What is the amount you turn the tuning pins when =
completely letting tension off? Art Reblitz recommends one full turn the =
first time. Also I am currently restoring a 1920 Angelus Player and I =
noticed that it has plywood (extremely thin and hard to get ply wood) =
glued to all the panels and then the veneer is glued to the ply. Does =
anyone know what the ply is for? is it for ease of fitting the veneer?=20
Does anyone have any comments on the   latest Steinway and Sons =
currently being built? I hear they are not quite up to scratch in =
comparison to their earlier work. Is this due to changes in time it =
takes to build? Lack of quality materials? I heard (only rumour) that =
S&S used to keep the wood for some years (to allow it to age) before =
using it on a piano.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated, thankyou    Stuart