Flange Repinning (was: Mystery Residue)

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:48:32 -0500

Rob,
My c/p nippers from Pacific Piano Supply make a nice clean cut.

I just performed this expreiment:
Nipped a center pin and examined it under a loop.
I observed a slight peaning-over of the pin where the jaws first cut
into the pin with no peaning at the ends of the final shear point.

I then flied the end and observed a swage of metal pushed off the
side of the pin.

I concluded that filing the pin would cause the end of the pin to tear
at the bushing cloth more than the slightly peaned edge of a cut pin.
The filing actually left the pin ragged on the end. I don't recommend this.
Finished c/p's would be the only way to have a clean edge on both ends.

Examining the cut pin reinforces my theory to push the pin from the
uncut side while removing so as not to enlarge the birdseye further
with the peaned edge.

But my thought on filing was not on the pin but on the wood surfaces to
burnish for the purpose of reducing drag/friction.

The repinning went superbly. Was that residue a sizing for the felt?
The last mid 80's vintage S&S had spongy bushings, these were perfect.
If it were some type of lube/sizing, I would not hesitate to use it in the
repinning process if it produces results as it did here (if it did). I
hesitate
to attribute the freeness of the pinning without wobble on the burnishing
of the surfaces while removing the residue.

I'll test the theory on the next set:  burnish a few, just repin a few others;
evaluate difference.

Back to work,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)