Flange Repinning (was: Mystery Residue)

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:38:27 -0500

List,
It seems the material was applied to the flanges since the residue was on
the outsides of some of the bushings as well as the outside areas of the
birdseyes. Filing with a fine file removed the crusty residue and also
burnished the surfaces. Which got me to thinking, hmm; I wonder if
filing/burnishing all shank yokes and flanges prior to repinning would help
to reduce drag on these surfaces. Not so much as to remove material but
just to burnish.

Some flanges insert tightly and this must certainly add to friction. Over
time, the grain raises or the surface becomes rough, so by
filing/burnishing these surfaces wouldn't this be a good procedure to
include in the repinning operation?

I don't know what the residue was, oat meal bath? I didn't taste it. It
left traces on the tops of the yokes, with some on the outsides of some
bushings and concentrated around the outside of the birdseye/yoke.

So it was something in suspension which hydrodynamically adhered around the
birdseye and subsequently dried which resulted in an abrasive drag to the
rotation.

Having gotten this far, I'll repin in the morning.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)